Thursday, October 8, 2009

Live From Japan

From Japan


From Japan


Hello everone Nick Strite here straight from Japan. Lately I've just been doing a lot of living and relaxing, its been raining a lot which led to my first typhoon which is just japanese for hurricane, no big deal I slept through this one just like I did my first hurricane in florida. Anyhow after the typhoon it was gorgeous out so my roommate, alex and I did a bit a grocery shopping. Then I went to have a look at the temple and graveyard next to our house. Quite the ominous and peaceful place.

From Japan


From Japan


Anyhow the previous day was our field trip to the metropolitan museum of photography, the travelers shrine in meguro and shibuya! Quite the inspiring visit to the museum though I may just go back because there was one particular exhibit that I wanted to see and did not have the time they had a lot of tasty lomography cameras there as well. The shrine was quite nice right in the middle of it all but it was very cool with all the rain. Its almost too coincidential that all this nice weather headed our way after the sickness and typhoons comes after a visit to the travelers shrine. Anyhow shibuya was cool lots of fashion concious japanese even though it was gloomy with all the rain. Afterwards we all split off and headed for home.

From Japan


From Japan


From Japan


What else has been going on hmmm. OH my roommate and our language partner went out for a family sushi dinner which was awesome, a very family sushi dinner indeed lots of kids very loud. We also played some games with her and such lots of slots and other awesome games like card games that you play with cards that are read by a screen and produced onto a monitor, I was quite impressed and really wanted to play. OH yeah our language partner trip part 1. We went to Akihabara and Ginza. Ginza is a very rich area with lots of dept stores. Akihabara is electric town filled with everything electronic you could want and all the manga and anime you can fill your head with. This was all very fun. We also went to one of the maid cafes which was quite hilarious for a substantial amount of 1200 yen a person you can take a picture and have a drink in the company of 18+ year old girls dressed as french maids.

From Japan


From Japan


From Japan




The most bothersome thing though on my mind has been the language. I have fun learning it and all but it really gets to me daily when I can't understand the box of cereal or bag of rice because I don't know the kanji. Oh well so be it. I can still get by.

Everything is vastly more expensive then I thought, especially the food and transport. The typical foods like hunny and peanut butter are crazy expensive 12 dollars for a tiny thing of honey*. I guess that explains the lack of bees. Still WTF? Though I am a good frugal capitalist and should be ok; but if anyone is feeling particularly generous you can donate money to my japan travel fund on paypal which sends money directly to my savings account. It'll definately help with my week long trip to kyoto, osaka and nara. I'll also be willing to get souvenirs for anyone thats wants something straight from japan LET ME KNOW. Thanks.











Now thats it for my sales pitch.

So yeah that about sums it all up on my end again keep in touch im me on aim or call me on skype. I miss everyone so much hope to hear from you soon.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nick! Really enjoying the pics and the blogging. I would be remiss as your parent if i did not remind you that Honey is not spelled Hunny. That is just the Dad in me. The photos are amazing and I had to laugh when you sent your pay pal link for donations. Keep me apprised on your finances via email please. Can you at least carry on conversational japanese with the locals? Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. no i can't carry on in conversation people speak to fast or with a dialect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy shit! those pictures are so rad? did you take those? it looks so awesome there, makes me want to go there soon! anywhos...be safe nick! ill come back to check on you haha

    ReplyDelete