Friday, October 30, 2009

Rantings of a white man in Japan

Afternoon all. Finally got down to writing another entry. Sorry its been so long since I've posted anything but I've been unable to gather my words correctly. Anyhow since last I spoke on here the school trips have been very fun, we went to a couple of art museums which has given life to my thoughts on going to museums again especially the photography ones because as a kid your mind cannot process the complicated thoughts and emotions evoked from certain artistic pieces.



We went to the tokyo metro museum in Ueno and the mori art museum. Both good, but the mori art museum I preferred, simply because it had an amazing exhibit and very controversial pieces from a chinese artist named pei wei wei (that could be spelled wrong). Anyhow the mori art museum was at the top of a building in roppongi which gave fantastic views and was pretty awesome to see. I'm considering to go back at night.



In Ueno we went to the museum saw some history and walked around the town itself. Myself, Liz and Alex, decided to just wonder cause we got separated from the others and found ourself back in akihabara which is where we went the week previous after roppongi. I love akihabara it is the mecha of electronics. Especially at yodabashi camera there are things you can get that are on display that you would have to order online its rediculous. Anyhow that was goodtimes I picked up a lens cleaner and a remote for my camera which is working great. I'll really be able to take advantage of my tripod when i get home now.



I find it interesting that on a daily basis if you walk around at night you will see kids talking and making out on corners. Reason being they don't have the personal space to do this in there own homes because they live with there family. It makes the whole dating process much different and also gives a boost to the love hotels. Love hotels are places people can go to get it on for a price and they are usually some sort of theme. Walking home is kind of funny because you have that awkward moment where you walk by these people and they're just like weird random american just walking by.



I've been keeping a low profile mostly just making trips with people into town on different occasions. Went and got my jr tickets in shinjuku. Went to a dive bar in hon atsugi that was really really amazing, very 20s jazz atmosphere would be a real throw back if i wasnt with a bunch of crazy americans. But the coolest thing about this place is that the bar and tables were fishtanks, it was straight out of a james bond movie. Anyhow the drinks were rediculously expensive like you would expect so i only had 2 of the fruttiest cheapest drinks just to try because it was rediculously tasty; cocktails are an art form here and I was quite impressed. I didnt get any photos but I will go back and take some soon.



Anyhow its halloween now not much is going on, might go with my roommate into shinjuku then go do stuff elsewhere not sure leaving today open. Might not do anything at all. I need to pack for kyoto, I leave tomorrow so that will be an interesting little trip. Considering whether or not to bring a suitcase or the 2 carry bags i have.

Will be sure to update with photos from kyoto and the majority of the photos I've been taking in the last while but I'll load some on here for now.

nick

1 comment:

  1. Nick these pictures are awesome and I am really enjoying your commmentary. How cool is it to see such a different culture and the way people are with one another. really enjoying this son. great work!

    ReplyDelete